Talking About a Memorable Relative
Last Update: 2022-04-06 11:05:40
My grandmother, Hite Kohama, worked hard all her life. She was born in 1912 in Obama city in Fukui prefecture.
She had 6 other siblings and she grew up with a big family. She was 26 when she got married, and she had 3 kids. But her husband got cancer and he passed away before my father became old enough to understand what's going on around, so my dad doesn't remember his father.
My grandmother had to raise three children all by herself. I can imagine that it must be a very hard time.
After World War II, everything was gone, but she made all her kids graduate from high school. What a powerful mother she was.
When I was a kid, my sister and I used to visit my grandmother's house everyday in summer vacation. She made us lunch. I remember that every time she cooked curry rice, it was always chicken curry.
She was good at making kimono for her job. She loved rice and flowers. She was fat so her doctor told her to walk more than 10,000 steps a day in order to lose her weight. My grandmother and I often go to Nagai park to see flowers.
However, because of her weight and too much walking, she got water on her knees. She could no longer do her sewing job, then she got senility after a while.
My grandmother passed away at the age 93.
I think I was inspired by her. That's why my major in colleage was home economics and clothing. I still remember that she told me not only to save money. But to use money ony if you need to, because prices of commodities might be changed.
- Speech Series
- Talking About Your Views on Technology
- Talking About a Memorable Historical Event
- Talking About Your Hopes and Plans
- Talking About a Past Era
- Talking About a Favorite Building
- Talking About a Significant Experience in Your Life
- Talking about a Controversial Topic
- Talking About a Frightening Experience in Your Entire Life
- Talking About Global Issues
- Talking About a Travel Experience
- Talking About Best and Worst TV Shows
- Talking About a Memorable Relative
- Describing a Favorite Restaurant
- Talking about a Tradition You Admire
- Talking about the Firsts
- Talking About Working Style
- How to Improve your English?
- Speech Series